I’ve never ridden a motorcycle.  Is a Basic RiderCourse right for me?

The Basic RiderCourse (BRC) is designed with new riders in mind.  No previous motorcycle riding experience is required; however, the ability to balance and ride a bicycle is essential.  Balancing is not taught in this course, but is an important part of safely controlling a motorcycle.  You can to learn to ride on RSRS’s training bikes on a controlled, closed parking lot. Currently, all Basic RiderCourses are held at the Sleepy Eye High School.

Can I get my motorcycle endorsement by taking your Basic RiderCourse?

Yes!  We are approved by the State of Minnesota to test students for their motorcycle endorsements, provided that you are at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license and motorcycle instruction permit.  You can earn a skill test waiver for your motorcycle endorsement by successfully completing our course.   Learn how to ride safely and earn your endorsement all in one class!  Our BRC costs $270, and you can either register online or mail a completed registration form with a check or money order to RSRS.

What do I have to do to get my motorcycle endorsement if I’m under 18 years old?

To earn your endorsement, you must:

  • Have a Minnesota driver’s license.  It is necessary to have a license to enroll in our BRC, and you cannot earn a motorcycle endorsement with just a driver’s instruction permit.
  • Complete an approved safety course, such as our BRC.  This requires 100 percent attendance and completion of a knowledge test and skill test.  Upon completion, you will receive two certificates to take to a Driver and Vehicle Services exam station along with your driver’s license.  One certificate will allow you to take the state knowledge test for the motorcycle instruction permit.  The other certificate will allow you to take the state skill test for the motorcycle endorsement.  To prepare for the state tests, you can download a copy of the Motorcycle, Motorized Bicycle (Moped) and Electric-Assisted Bicycle Manual at the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website or get a manual from any driver’s license exam station.
  • Pass the state knowledge test for the motorcycle instruction permit.  You must present the completion certificate.  The fee is $21.
  • Pass the state skill test for the motorcycle endorsement.  You must present the completion certificate and provide your own motorcycle that is street-legal and insured.
  • Pay the $13.50 fee and receive your duplicate license.

What do I need to do before taking the BRC?

Again, in order to earn your motorcycle endorsement through RSRS, you need to have your motorcycle permit in your possession before you can complete the BRC.

You must complete a five-hour eCourse before the second day of the BRC. More information will be provided after you register for your class. The BRC Rider Handbook can be viewed online or downloaded at MSF’s website.

Where can I take my motorcycle permit test?

Your best bet is to visit the Minnesota Department of Public Safety – Driver and Vehicle Services for the most current schedules and locations for the motorcycle permit test. You can also call the Mankato office at 507-344-2799.

Online practice tests for the Minnesota motorcycle permit test can be found at a few sites. Try the MINNESOTA DMV MOTORCYCLE LICENSE TEST and Motorcycle Test | License MN 2022 | FREE Online Practice! and FREE Minnesota DVS Motorcycle Practice Test 2022 | MN.

What do I need to bring to the BRC?

You must bring the following items to class:

  • Your valid driver’s license.
  • A signed Waiver and Release of Liability/Emergency Contact information sheet.  All students under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver.
  • Your MSF e-Course completion certificate.
  • Safety gear for the riding exercises.  You are required to wear sturdy gear for Saturday and Sunday’s range exercises, including:  a DOT-approved helmet, eye protection, full-fingered gloves with no holes, a long-sleeved shirt or T-shirt, long pants, and low-heeled shoes/boots that cover the ankles.  Wearing safety glasses with your helmet visor up is an option on rainy, foggy, and/or hot days.  We recommend bringing extra layers for cold days and wearing light-colored microfiber T-shirts on hot days. If you do not have some of these items, we suggest you borrow them from a family member or friend for the weekend.  Make sure you have comfortable gear that fits!
  • Optional comforts, such as coolers or thermoses with cool/hot beverages, snacks, sunscreen, a rain suit (pants and jacket), and/or extra clothes for warmth. With our Minnesota weather, it’s wise to dress in layers.

What if it’s raining? Do we still have class?

Yes! BRCs are held as scheduled, even if it’s raining. Learning to ride in the rain provides another opportunity to experience real-life conditions and can be beneficial for newer riders. The only time we cancel or delay a class is if the riding conditions are unsafe, such as the presence of lightning, ice, or snow.

What if I receive an unsuccessful score on my BRC skill test?  Can I still earn my motorcycle endorsement from RSRS?

Yes.  Should you receive an unsuccessful score on your first skill test, you can take it with us again by completing a Skills Retesting Course.  The Minnesota Department of Public Safety requires at least four hours of additional training and a waiting period of at least seven days before you retest.  We would encourage you to repeat the Level II riding exercises on day two of a later BRC and retake the skill test.  Sometimes people just need more practice and confidence before they are able to pass the riding evaluation.  Our Skills Retesting Course costs $50.

How can I get my moped permit?

A moped is defined as having 50 cc or less, less than 2 hp, and capable of no more than 30 mph.  If you are 14 years old you can still take the course, but you cannot obtain your moped permit until you are 15 years old.  You must take a moped safety course, then pass a knowledge test and skill test at a state exam station.  The fee for the knowledge test is $6.75.  The fee for the skill test and permit is $9.75.  Our moped curriculum qualifies as an approved moped safety course, and you will earn a completion certificate when you take a moped course with us.  Our Moped Safety Course costs $65 and is offered ONLINE.

Here is a review of the steps to getting your Moped Instruction Permit:

  • First, successfully complete our Moped Safety Course and earn a state-required course completion card.
  • Next, you need to pass a knowledge test at the Examiner’s Station and pay $6.75 to get a Moped Instruction Permit. Bring your course completion card with you. Your parent/guardian NEEDS to sign an affidavit – bring them along or get it before you test. Make an appointment for the skills test at that time, if you want.
  • You are now able to ride within a 1 mile radius of your home. Only your parent/guardian can ride with you as a passenger on this instruction permit.
  • Within 30 days, you need to pass a skills test on your own moped. Bring your instruction permit, proof of insurance, DOT-approved helmet, and eye protection.
  • Finally, you need to apply for a Moped Operator’s Permit and pay $9.75, which is valid for one year. This permit can be renewed after one year.
  • Mopeds must be registered annually and have insurance.
  • Once you have your driver’s license, you no longer need to renew the Moped Operator’s Permit.

What is your cancellation and refund policy?

  • If we cancel your course before the course date, you will receive a full refund.
  • If you give us at least a two-week notice:
    If you paid in full and cancel your course, we will give you a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee.  We’ll waive this fee if you reschedule instead of cancelling. If you made a $100 non-refundable deposit, then it is, of course, non-refundable.
  • If you cancel less than two weeks before the start of the class:
    Whether you paid in full or you made a non-refundable deposit, you forfeit $100. In other words, if you paid in full, you’ll get a $170 refund. If you made a $100 deposit, it’s non-refundable.
  • If you don’t cancel and don’t show up for the course, then you waive any right to a refund.
  • If the course instructor(s) determine that you are a hazard to yourself or others in the course, you will not be allowed to continue the course and no refund will be given in such case.

What other benefits come with taking a BRC or BRC2?

According to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), benefits from taking a RiderCourse include greater confidence, improved skills, licensing-test waivers, insurance discounts, discounts of course fees, support for enthusiast groups, and base access for military riders.

BRC and BRC2 course graduates will be presented with a MSF course completion card and may be eligible for insurance discounts, as well as other incentives from motorcycle manufacturers and dealerships.  Ask your insurance agent and motorcycle dealers if you are eligible for safety training discounts.

What are Minnesota’s Motorcycle Laws and Regulations?

Motorcycle permits are valid for one year.  All motorcyclists must:

  • Have a motorcycle instruction permit or a motorcycle endorsement.
  • Register their motorcycle and display a valid license plate.
  • Carry liability insurance for their bike and proof of insurance when riding.
  • Wear eye protection, either a face shield, goggles, or glasses.  Windshields do not meet legal requirements.

When riding on a motorcycle permit, riders:

  • Must wear a DOT-approved helmet.
  • Cannot carry passengers.
  • Cannot ride at night.

If you are under 18, you must:

  • Have a valid driver’s license.
  • Complete an approved motorcycle rider training course, like our BRC, and have a motorcycle instruction permit.
  • Wear a DOT-approved helmet.

Street-legal Motorcycle Equipment:

  • If the motorcycle has a passenger seat, it must also have passenger footrests.
  • A rear view mirror, horn, and muffler are required equipment.
  • The headlight must be on at all times when riding.  Motorcycles are required to have at least one, but not more than two, headlights with both high and low beam. Headlight modulators are legal in Minnesota.
  • A red tail light is required, including a brake or stop lamp.  A “blue dot” on the tail light of up to one inch in diameter is legal.
  • At least one brake is required, front or rear, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Motorcycle Laws:

  • Motorcyclists are entitled to the full use of their lane and have all the rights and responsibilities of other drivers.
  • Motorcyclists are permitted to use high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) carpool lanes.
  • All laws regarding driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs apply to motorcyclists as well.
  • Passengers under 18 must wear a DOT-approved helmet.
  • Passengers must wear eye protection.
  • Motorcyclists may only ride on a permanent seat.  Passengers may ride on a passenger seat or in a sidecar.
  • Passengers must be able to reach both foot pegs while seated on the bike.
  • Operators and passengers must face forward with one leg on each side of the motorcycle.
  • Motorcyclists must not carry anything that interferes with holding onto the handlebars.
  • Splitting traffic is illegal.  No one except on-duty police officers may ride between lanes of traffic or in the same lane with other vehicles.  It is legal for two motorcyclists to ride side-by-side in the same lane if both riders agree to it beforehand.
  • Headphones/earphones: one ear only.

Penalties for riding without a motorcycle endorsement or instruction permit include up to 90 days in jail, a $700 fine, and having the motorcycle towed and impounded.

Minnesota Red Light, Green Light Law of 2002

A person operating a motorcycle who enters or crosses an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

1.  The motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
2.  The traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
3.  The traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and
4.  No motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered; or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.